Every year we look for ways to stay cool without spending a fortune on energy bills. As a San Diego air conditioning company, we at ARS San Diego understand the importance of becoming more energy-efficient for both our clients and the environment. That’s why we’ve compiled some information to help you save more energy while staying cool in your home.
Tips for Energy Efficient Home Cooling
- Install An Energy Efficient Air Conditioner: Newer air conditioners can save anywhere from 15% to 40% in cooling costs from AC systems built ten to twenty years ago, and increased efficiency can help displace the initial cost over time.
- Schedule Air Conditioning Maintenance: With professional AC maintenance your cooling system will work as efficiently as it was designed to during the hottest months. It is also important to change your AC filters as often as is recommended by the manufacturer (this can be as often as every month).
- Seal up Those Leaks: By sealing up windows and doorways you will keep your air conditioned air inside and the hot air outside.
- Adjust Thermostat Settings: Programmable thermostats give you the option of turning down the air conditioner when your home is not in use, or at certain times of day like nighttime when everyone is sleeping. Making slight adjustments of only a few degrees can help cut energy costs.
- Reduce Thermal Heat: When blinds and drapes are closed it lets less thermal heat from the sun inside, which means the air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to compensate. You can also make a small investment in reflective film on windows which will do the same thing to a higher degree.
- Use Fans: On days when the temperature isn’t soaring, use fans rather than your air conditioner. On those hot days that just won’t let up, turning on ceiling fans or portable fans in the rooms you occupy will make you feel cooler, which means you can set that thermostat temperature a few degrees higher and still feel comfortable. Either way you could save in utility bills since running a fan uses considerably less energy than running the air conditioner.
Contact ARS San Diego and let us help you get your air conditioner up and running as it should with an AC maintenance inspection. Our air conditioning technicians can also walk you through the process of finding the right energy-efficient air conditioner and perform the air conditioning installation. Let us help you stay cool through every hot day.